GFWC/CFWC San Bernardino
women's clubs are affiliated with the California Federation of
Women's Clubs (CFWC). The CFWC is part of an international
community service organization (GFWC) which provides education,
training and interaction opportunities for volunteers who are
committed to individual growth and community improvement to
enrich the quality of life throughout California and the world.
HISTORY OF CALIFORNIA
organized in January of 1900 and became the thirty-seventh state
to join the General Federation of Women's Clubs in May of the
same year. At that time, CFWC was composed of 40 clubs and
almost 6000 members.
"Strength United is
Stronger" was the motto chosen for the State Federation at the
1902 Convention. "America the Beautiful" was adopted as the
official song in 1922. The Gold Rose, named "Treasure," was
adopted in 1970 as the official flower.
CALIFORNIA FEDERATION EMBLEM
The Emblem of the
California Federation of Women's Clubs was designed in 1903 by
Miss Bernice Scoville. The Emblem is the insignia of a common
cause and creates a spirit of cooperation among those who wear
The Torch represents the educational work
of the Federation and invites all to knowledge of the principles
of American citizenship.
The Wings pointing
upward are symbolic of the higher thoughts and aspirations which
are the aim of all.
The Band circling both typifies the
unbroken chain of strength and loyalty - not only to the clubs,
but also to the state.
The State Motto,
"STRENGTH UNITED IS STRONGER",
suggested by Annie Little Barry, and chosen in convention 1902,
reminds us that in unity there is strength, and through the
united efforts of the club women of California it is possible to
accomplish many things for the benefit of the people of the
Emblem is the design of the official Federation pin. A president
wears the gavel above the pin and a past president wears the
gavel below the pin.